Pet parents have long used bitter-tasting solutions to deter their cats from chewing on unwanted surfaces, such as electrical cords and furniture. Bitter spray for cats is a safe and effective way to train your feline friend to stay away from off-limits areas and objects.
There are many commercially available bitter sprays on the market, or you can make your own using a combination of water and lemon juice. Be sure to test the spray on a small area of your cat’s skin before using it liberally, as some cats may be sensitive to citrus.
Disclaimer: We are using Amazon affiliate Product Advertising API to fetch products from Amazon, include: price, content, image, logo, brand, feature of products which are trademarks of Amazon.com. So, when you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Table of Contents
Things to Consider:
Spraying is a natural feline behavior used to mark territory or show displeasure, and sometimes it can seem like our cats are choosing to spray us as a target. If your cat is unexpectedly spraying in your home, there are a few things to consider before purchasing a bitter spray deterrent.
First, have you recently moved or introduced a new pet into the home? Territorial disputes are often the root cause of spraying behavior, so try to create a calm and stable environment for your cat. If that doesn’t work, consider having your cat seen by a veterinarian to rule out any medical causes of the spraying behavior.
Once you’ve ruled out stress and medical causes, you can try a bitter spray deterrent. Be sure to choose a product that is safe for use around cats, and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Some cats will be deterred by the taste of the spray, while others may not be bothered by it. If your cat continues to spray after using a bitter spray deterrent, you may need to consider other behavioral training methods.
How We Pick & Test:
Bitter spray is one of the most effective ways to train your cat to stay away from certain areas or objects. But with so many products on the market, how do you know which one is best?
There are a few things to consider when choosing a bitter spray for cats. First, you want to make sure the spray is safe for your cat to ingest if they happen to lick it. Second, you’ll want to choose a spray with a strong enough taste to deter your cat, but not so strong that it causes them discomfort.
We test bitter sprays for cats by putting a small amount on our skin and allowing our cats to approach. If the spray is effective, our cats will back away and avoid the area. We also ask customers to provide feedback on their experience using the spray. Based on our tests and customer feedback, we’ve compiled a list of the best bitter sprays for cats.
Top 10 Best Bitter Spray For Cats
Details of Best Bitter Spray For Cats
- TRAIN YOUR CAT TO STAY AWAY FROM TREATED AREAS: Live in harmony and establish boundaries with your kitten or cat with Bodhi Dog 3-in-1 Cat & Kitten Training Aid with added bitters. Our cat training spray uses a scent your feline friend can’t stand but pleasant to the human senses. With consistent use of our cat training spray, your cat or kitten will associate which areas are off-limits, where a cat’s presence is not desired and deters scratching and chewing.
- EFFECTIVE FOR INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE: Keep cats and kittens from sitting, jumping, chewing, scratching furniture, carpet, wood flooring, and drapes within the household. Make sure to reapply the Cat Training Spray on any area to keep it kitty free and scratch-free every 24 hours or until the habit is broken. Cats use their sense of smell to determine where they spend their time. Remember that the application rate depends on how severe the cat’s habits are and how often they visit the area.
- ADDED BITTERS TO PREVENT CHEWING: No need to yell or swat when your feline friend is chewing on the plant! The added bitters in the formula do not scare or harm your cat, it just tastes awful to any surface applied on. Our Cat Spray can be safely and easily be used on fabrics, furniture, woodwork, walls, baseboards, blinds, rugs, plants, carpet, and many other things you don’t want your kitty to chew on! We stand behind the quality of our products.
- LONG LASTING & SAFE FORMULA: Safe to use around plants and won’t stain water-safe furniture or fabrics. Our animal-cruelty free formula is a long-lasting blend of ingredients that will stop cats from scratching furniture and destroying your other precious items in your house. It is safe to use around other pets and children when used as directed. Our Cat Training Spray is intended as a training aid and deterrent, be sure to provide enticing scratchers and toys nearby.
- OUR ETHICAL FAMILY COMMITMENT: Proudly made in the USA using socially responsible practices, locally sourced and sustainable ingredients, animal cruelty-free production, and eco-friendly recyclable packaging. If you don't love our 3-in-1 Cat & Kitten Training Aid, please let us know. We are a small family-owned business of pet lovers committed to making great products that are safe for you, your pets, and the planet!
- STOP UNWANTED CHEWING – A bitter spray for dogs, cats and horses that stops pets from chewing on: hot spots, sores, wounds, paws, tails and manes, bandages, furniture, drapes, plants, and wood. May be sprayed over topical medications.
- INDOOR and OUTDOOR FRIENDLY - Special water based, alcohol free formula will not sting or stain and convenient sprayer makes applying quick and easy. For outdoor and indoor use, can be used on or around plants.
- MULTI-PET USE - For Dogs, Cats, and Horses. Use consistently until undesirable habits are curtailed.
- MADE IN THE USA and VETERINARIAN FORMULATED - All NaturVet products are veterinarian formulated and manufactured in the USA in an FDA audited, cGMP compliant facility.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - All NaturVet products come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee so if you aren't satisfied for any reason you can get a full refund!
- SO DISGUSTINGLY BITTER – Fooey! Spray is so disgustingly bitter, we actually have a registered trademark to say it’s “the most bitter stuff on earth!” The taste comes from grapefruit skin extract and the herb known as “The King of Bitters.” These all-natural active ingredients deliver a safe, effective and powerful deterrent to destructive chewing, biting and licking behaviors.
- TRAINING AID – Use Fooey! in conjunction with training methods to keep pets from licking, biting, chewing and destroying anything they might like to go after in your home. Remember to reward your pet for good behavior and they will continue to practice their good behavior.
- SAFE FOR YOUR PET AND HOME – Alcohol-, fragrance-, odor- and dye-free, the neutral pH spray is non-flammable, non-acidic and non-caustic. It is safe for furniture, walls, shoes, clothing and harmful plants, and even safe to use directly on your pet’s skin to discourage gnawing and licking.
- PROTECT YOUR GARDEN – Use Fooey! outdoors to shut down the 24-hour garden buffet and prevent deer, rabbits, woodchucks and other vermin from eating your plants and flowers. Save time, money and frustration!
- PREMIUM PRODUCTS FOR PREMIUM PETS – SynergyLab’s Fooey! training products are created with premium ingredients but available at a price that pet parents can afford. We know your dogs are more than just pets, because we are pet parents too.
- EFFECTIVELY DISCOURAGES CHEWING Stops pets from licking and chewing skin, fur, bandages and wounds.
- TWICE AS BITTER The super bitter taste pets hate, thanks to our double-strength extreme bitter formulation. LONG-LASTING ALCOHOL-FREE FORMULA Works longer than alcohol-based formulas which evaporate as the alcohol dries.
- WITH CALMING COPAIBA OIL FOR SOOTHING HOT SPOTS Spraying on rough, tender skin? Stop the aggravating behavior—AND help soothe and heal hot spots thanks to tea tree essential oil.
- SAFE ON FURNITURE—GOOD FOR SKIN Use as often as needed! Kind to all sorts of fabric, fur and furniture— including drapes, shoes, electrical cords as well as paws, tails and pet’s itchy skin.
- PROFESSIONALLY FORMULATED! 100% GUARANTEED And as always, we stand behind our products 100%. We earn your five-star reviews by making high-quality products that work.
- DETERS CHEWING HUMANELY as seen in The Oprah Magazine December 2018! : Train your furry friend to stop chewing, biting, gnawing and licking things they shouldn’t. Our anti chew spray is the safe, gentle and humane alternative to harsh training methods and bitter apple spray. Don’t yell or swat, simply spray surface and walk way! Our bitters spray does not scare or harm your pet, it makes the surface its sprayed on, taste awful to deter dogs, cats, rabbits and ferrets from chewing.
- 100% NON-TOXIC AND SAFE: Our natural anti-chew pet spray won’t hurt your pet or the things its sprayed on! Our all plant and botanical based chew deterrent spray is inspired by nature and does not contain harsh chemicals or additives. Our formula is a blend of natural bitters and lemon extracts making it ideal for pets with allergies and other sensitivities. Its a safe alternative to other sprays that contain harsh chemicals.
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE: Our natural anti-chew pet spray won’t hurt your pet or the things its sprayed on! Please keep in mind, our spray contains natural bitters which can have a strong scent to some people. Make sure to always use in a well ventilated area. Use sparingly at first as a precaution to test for adequate ventilation. Our all plant and botanical based chew deterrent spray is inspired by nature and does not contain harsh chemicals or additives.
- SAFE TO USE ON THE INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR OF YOUR HOME: Our safe anti-chew remedy can be used on things you want to stop your pet from chewing indoors and outdoors. It can safely be used on rugs, furniture, table, chairs, couch, sofa, bar stools, desk, walls, woodwork, blinds, molding, baseboards, curtains, electrical and power cords, wires, headphones, drawer-knobs, coasters, leash, clothing, shoes, socks, purses, handbags, bags, indoor and outdoor plants, houseplants, flowers and trees.
- OUR ETHICAL FAMILY COMMITMENT: Proudly made in the USA using socially responsible practices, locally sourced and sustainable ingredients, animal cruelty free production and eco-friendly recyclable packaging. We are a small family owned business of pet lovers committed to making great products that are safe for you, your pets and the planet!
- MAX STRENGTH FORMULA - THE MOST POWERFUL BITTER DETERRENT ON THE MARKET. The extreme bitter taste pets hate, LONG-LASTING - ALCOHOL-FREE FORMULA specifically formulated to safely train adult dogs and puppies to stop chewing.
- TRAINING AID: No need to yell or swat your pet, simply spray surface and walk way! Our furry family members, especially puppies, need positive reinforcement. Yelling at them for chewing things they just can’t resist won’t teach them to stop doing it! Spray the Anti-Chew spray and walk away. An easy training tool that has no sting, no smell, just a perfect pet corrector.
- 100% NON-TOXIC: Safe, Sting free Does Not Contain Tea Tree Oil - Bitter Apple Sprays that contain tea tree oil which has been proven to be harmful to animals. Does not contain steroids! Does not contain alcohol Does not contain harmful Propylene Glycol
- EFFECTIVELY TRAINS DOGS AND CATS: Stop Chewing at the Source, Bitter Apple Spray stops pets from chewing household items, licking and chewing skin, fur, wounds and bandages.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: No Hassle Returns Guaranteed, Every pet is different and if you are not 100% satisfied with our product we will refund you in full, no questions asked.
- No more Scratching and Chewing: Effectively prevent cats from entering the bedroom to sleep and the kitchen to steal food. Anti-scratch the sofa and destroy plants. Keep cat go away your yard or garden to make a mess.once spray，cats never come again，effectively protect your yard，garden, furniture, sofa， plants
- Training Aid: EverJoice cat spray is very humane for cats, will not scare or hurt them. Cat owners should be patient in training their cats and also use spray consistently. Spray it on the area where cats often scratch and let them sniff and in combination with the stop command repeatedly. After a long time, the cat will develop a good habit even if it does not spray
- Indoor and Outdoor Deterrent:Train and repel cats from restricted areas, to help you set boundaries form for the home.Stop other people's cats from coming into your yard. Plants protector, no more digging, keep cats away from your garden
- Upgrade Formulation: Upgraded formula, natural without alcohol, more effectively deters cats away by emitting a scent that cats don't like but is pleasant for humans. The scent repellent cat without causing coughing and discomfort for humans,which is safe for you, your pets, and the plants
- To avoid animals getting substantial harm, we don't use any strong composition in our spray. If our product doesn't work on your pets efficiently, you can spray our product in the same place more times. It's a process to help your pets build good behavior. So it needs time and your patience. If our product doesn't work at all after one week's use, please no hesitation to contact us for a refund or replacement.
- CAT SPRAY DETERRENT 2-N-1 FORMULA: Our 2-n-1 cat scratch furniture protector and powerful bitter spray stop cats and kittens from scratching, chewing, and gnawing at items in your house. Bluecare Labs has uniquely formulated this spray with you and your loved furry family member in mind. With consistent use of our cat training spray, your cat or kitten will become uninterested in areas that are off-limits. Stay calm! Just spray the areas your cat is attracted to and walk away.
- BREAK THE SCRATCHING AND CHEWING HABIT SAFELY: Make sure to reapply this Cat Training Spray on any area to keep it scratch-free and chewing-free every 24 hours or until the habit is broken. Remember that the application rate depends on how severe the cat’s habits are and how often they visit the area. EFFECTIVE AND SAFE FOR INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE.
- ADDED BITTERS TO PREVENT CHEWING: No need to yell or swat when your furry friend is chewing on your plants or other unwanted items! The added bitters in this formula will not harm your cat, it just tastes awful on any surface applied. Try a drop on your tongue… we dare you!, you will hate it and so will your kitten or cat. Our Cat Spray can be safely and easily be used on fabrics, furniture, woodwork, cords, blinds, rugs, plants, carpet, and or anything you don’t want your cat to chew on!
- SCRATCHING IS NORMAL INSTINCTIVE CAT BEHAVIOR: Cats and Kittens have a natural need to scratch. Some felines do this to express emotions, like excitement, to get attention, or sometimes to relieve stress. Cats also mark objects with their scent (they have scent glands in their paws), they scratch to care for their nails, and very often just an innocent way to get a good stretch.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - NO HASSLE RETURNS: NO NEED TO RETURN THE BOTTLE - Every pet is different and if you are not 100% satisfied with our product we will refund you in full, no questions asked.
- CHEWING PROBLEMS SOLVED -- If your doggy likes to chew furniture, bandages, sores, and even their own paws and tail...it's time to stop! Our harmless water-based formula will deter dogs from this unwanted behavior due to the unappealing taste from our bittering agent.
- EFFECTIVE YET HARMLESS SOLUTION -- Convenient trigger sprayer makes application quick and easy. Our formulation consists of water, bittering agent, and citric acid for tartness. It will not sting, stain, or harm your dog in any way! Can also be used over topical medications and plants.
- SUPER VERSATILE -- Use our yuck spray indoors and outdoors on just about any surface! Can be used directly on your pet’s hot spots, fur, bandages, plants, furniture, wood, drapes, and more. This product is also cat-friendly!
- VETERINARIAN FORMULATED -- Safe to use consistently until undesirable habits are curtailed. Just don't spray near your pups nose and eyes! Now you can leave the house worry-free and not come back home to a chewed up couch!
- HEALTHY SOLUTIONS FOR PETS - MADE IN USA -- All of our products are made in the USA in an FDA audited, cGMP compliant facility. Our facility has been manufacturing top quality pet health supplements and training aids since 1994 and is one of the most trusted in the industry.
Benefits of Best Bitter Spray For Cats:
There are many benefits to using a bitter spray to deter your cat from chewing on inappropriate things. Bitter sprays contain an unpleasant taste that will discourage your cat from chewing on things they shouldn’t. This can be a great way to protect your furniture, clothing, and other valuables from being damaged by your cat’s chewing. Bitter sprays are safe to use around your cat and will not cause any harm if ingested. Some bitter sprays also contain natural ingredients that can help to soothe your cat’s gums and teeth.
The best size for a bitter spray for cats is four to six ounces. This size will allow you to target the areas your cat likes to scratch without using too much of the product.
There are many different types of best bitter spray for cats, each designed for a specific purpose. Some are designed to keep cats from scratching furniture or getting into food, while others are made to help keep them calm during car rides or moments of stress. The best way to find the right bitter spray for your cat is to experiment with a few different types and see which one works best for your pet.
Ease of Use:
If you are looking for a fast and effective way to get rid of your cat’s fleas, then look no further than the best bitter spray for cats. This stuff is incredible! Simply spray it on your cat’s coat and within minutes the fleas will be gone. The best part about this spray is that it is completely safe to use on cats of all ages. So if you have a kitten with fleas, you don’t have to worry about using a product that could potentially harm them.
The best bitter spray for cats is a great way to keep your cat away from areas that are off-limits. This bitter-tasting spray is safe to use around pets and children, and it will effectively deter your cat from chewing on furniture, curtains, or other household items. Simply spray the area that you want to protect, and the bitter taste will discourage your cat from returning.
Best bitter spray for cats is one of the most durable products on the market. It is made with a very tough material that is designed to withstand a lot of wear and tear. This product is also designed to be very comfortable for your cat, so they can wear it for long periods of time without feeling uncomfortable.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Can I spray Enforcer Flea spray on my house?
Yes, you can spray Enforcer Flea spray on your house to help kill fleas and other pests.
While there are many different brands and types of bitter spray available, we believe that the best bitter spray for cats is the PetSafe Ssscat Spray Pet Deterrent. This spray is specifically designed to keep pets away from areas where they are not welcome, and it is safe to use around cats and other animals. The spray is also affordable and easy to find online and in pet stores.
Last update on 2022-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.